Monday, January 2, 2012

My New Year's Resolutions

I have big plans for 2012, and they mostly all revolve around self-improvement and my never-ending quest to stop being so damn lazy.  I watch too much television, surf the 'net way too much, and eat fast-food more than I should.  These are the aspects of myself which I would love to change.  

New Year's Resolution Number One

Less eating out, more cooking.  I've never been a fan of cooking, mostly because my confidence in the kitchen is zilch.  It's not that I don't have the time because I do.  I would rather be a lazy bum and watch television than put any effort into what I'm eating.  No mas!  You can't hear it but there is a (hypothetical) voice in the back of my head telling me, "Get yo' diet in control, gurrrrl.  Don't give the cancer a friendly environment to return to."  For the sake of my sanity and hypochondriac ways, I have to get my diet under control.  Plus, a year before I stop taking Tamoxifen (October 2013), I plan on making my body as "baby friendly" as possible.  When I can start trying to have a baby, I want to hit the ground running. 

The other main reason: my boyfriend and I are wasting so much money eating out.  We can do so much better, and I want to get our whole lives on track.

On a sentimental note, I actually like baking, though my baking skills are very basic.  My stepmom's mom, Nana, aka the most awesome lady on the face of this planet, was a fantastic baker.  When she would come visit our house, she would bake everyone their favorite cookies or pie.  I'm pretty sure we all gained five to 10 pounds after an extended visit of hers.  I remember sitting at the dinner table with her as she baked cookies and listened to her talk about whatever.  It was so nice and lovely.  Whenever I bake the one thing I know how to bake, I think of Nana and it's a nice nostalgic feeling.

New Year's Resolution Number Two

I need to stop watching so much television and read a frickin' book.  I rarely read anymore.  It's sad and pathetic (for me) since I used to read books all the time.  During secondary school, I always carried a book with me.  I was also a big reader in college, though they were mostly "chick lit" novels.  When I went on vacations, I always had a purse in my bag.  I read voraciously and now.... meh.  I do blame my job for this.  I read read read read read all day, and so when I get home, the last thing I want to do is open a book.  I miss school and learning.  I am setting a goal of a minimum of 12 books this year.  To my boyfriend and also my friend Shannon (the two biggest hard-core readers I know), this would seem like a lame goal.  I just want to get back into the swing of things and back into the book-worm lifestyle I used to enjoy and love so much.

New Year's Resolution Number Three

I want to be one of those "go-getters" when it comes to my career.  If I can't be a mom in the next couple of years, then I should try my hand at success in the professional arena.  I know I have it in me.  I'm just feeling confident about my outer appearance, so now it's time to finesse the inner confidence.

New Year's Resolution Number Four

My final resolution is to abide by this philosophy:

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.”

I think the quote speaks for itself.  


No comments:

Post a Comment