Saturday, December 31, 2011

Good-bye 2011

I am beyond looking forward to the end of this year.  This was one tough year full of medical and personal challenges.  To say I went through a lot this year would be quite an accurate statement.  I'm looking forward to 2012 and just praying that it brings good news and amazing things.  

If I had to sum up the entire year for me, then I would choose: survivor.  Where am I now compared to one year ago is absolutely astonishing.  Just last year, I was still recovering from a partial mastectomy, anaphylaxis from my first chemo, and just started losing my hair.  Actually, I think New Year's 2010 was when I was officially a baldy after all of my tufts of hair finally bid adieu.  I started off this year bald, so sick, and just wondering how much more could my body take.  

Remember this girl?


I've learned, albeit the hard way, that your body can take quite a lot.  This year I went four chemotherapies, seven weeks of radiation and TWO additional surgeries.  One of those surgeries landed me in the hospital for two not-fun-filled days.  Right now, I'm sitting here in my living room (with a nice full head of hair!) and battling a cough that would have landed me in the hospital one year ago.  My returning white blood cells are hard at work.  The point, and I haz one, is that I have recovered.  My body has been through absolute hell, and right now, I'm okay. 

2011 has taught me such a valuable life lesson, and this is going to sound uber corny.  It's inspired me to be the absolute best person I can be - to not give up and try again.  I've been focused on my outer appearance for quite some time, but I have plans for the inner Me.  Oh do I have plans.  Dreams.  Aspirations.  Plans to both kick ass and take names.  You can't see it right now but I'm plotting.  

I hope 2012 is wonderful, and I'm going to do everything in my power to make it so.  I want to put this year (and the end of 2010) behind me, and move on and just live a happy and hopefully healthy life.

No comments:

Post a Comment