Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Another fake cancer blogger (updated 6/20/13)

In the last couple of days, another young girl was exposed as a cancer faker.  Since becoming involved with the cancer community, I helped out one faker and watched from the sidelines as two girls were exposed as fakers. 

First, ladies and gentlemen, we had Amelia, aka nomorefearsanymore or FRECKLESSOBE.  She likes to go by the latter handle quite a bit online.  Google frecklessobe, and you will see the face of someone who had hundreds of people fooled for months.  Seriously, she purported to be a three-time cancer survivor, and her lies went back several years.  She wrote the following on Livestrong's website:

By frecklessobe on July 8, 2009 at 12:03 AM
I went to the website and wrote my letter as I said I would! I am a person who has overcome leukemia as a child and I am fighting for my life again with neuroblastoma. Writing that letter was such a liberating experience because I could say to cancer everything I've always wanted to. From taking my mother and father from me to making me battle it twice (and I am only 18 years old) I was delighted to be able to say to the disease that I don't care what it does, cancer will NOT take my life from me!

On tumblr, she would have someone supposedly update her blog for her whenever she fell ill.  She happened to fall gravely ill, like coma ill, while another cancer fighter (this young girl in California  *edited on 6/20/13 to add, apparently this girl was a fraud, too; when you're young and have access to the internet, apparently it's fun to pretend to have cancer online*) was actually fighting for her life.  It was like Amelia freaked that someone was getting more attention than her and said, "Yeah, I'll show her," and then made up a coma.  Well, as she was supposedly in a coma and fighting for her life, Facebook friends of her noticed that she was liking friends' status on Facebook.  Thus began the fall of Amelia.  I mean, we have so much proof that proof is coming out of our ears.  Everything was screencapped, and she knows this, too.  I just saw Amelia on another blog platform, trying to pretend to have cancer again.  I just said hi to her ("You don't have cancer.  You know I have proof.")  Whammo, she is no longer on Experienceproject.

I first suspected it was Amelia who found my good friend Nikki on flickr, and started leaving the nastiest comments, like "I hope you die."  Or "you look like a freak."  Shit like that.  I got mad, went on Flickr, and sent the person a message: 

To:

jessnicksNo real name given

Subject:

Trolling a cancer patient?

You are scum. You are despicable.

From:

jessnicksNo real name given

Subject:

Re: Trolling a cancer patient?

not as big of scum as you are, lara [redacted]!


She knew my tumblr name based on the limited pictures available in my flickr stream.  I thought it was Amelia, but I learned later it was Katie, yet another girl who faked having cancer online. Her and I exchanged more lovely messages.  

From:

jessnicksNo real name given

Subject:

Re: Trolling a cancer patient?

and you are scum because you're ugly. you ugly dyke.



Yep, she insulted my looks and sexuality.  She also invented a time machine because she somehow teleported me back to high school, to the land where insults about such things actually hurt.  Bitch, like I give a rat's ass what someone thinks of me or says about my sexuality.  I'm in my 30s, and I know who I am.

This one was my personal favorite:

From:

jessnicksNo real name given

Subject:

Re: Trolling a cancer patient?

ooh, i'm scared....you are a dyke. ever wondered why you're not married yet? at least i have a serious boyfriend. you do not. you just have a guy who wants to fuck you....and no parents who actually give a shit about you.


I was seriously LOLzing at my desk when I read that.  She called me a dyke but said I have a guy who just wants to fuck me.  I haz a confused.  

After Katie crawled back under the rock from which she came, we had Cara Goodman, slithering her way into the cancer community.  If you ever want to lose your faith in humanity, please visit this blog.  Cara took it one step further than Amelia and went the bald route.  She even rented medical equipment to pose with her in her pictures.  Cara really took it that extra mile.  Instead of going out, hanging out with friends and figuring out who she wants to be int he real world, she created this fantasy world where she was a rape victim dying of AIDS and cancer.  She couldn't have just had cancer.  She had to have AIDS on top of that.

Once again, we have a young woman in her early 20s, creating this fictitious world where they were the victim.  Both Amelia and Cara had hundreds of followers on their respective blogs, people who invested in their lives.  The cancer community is an amazing one, and when they care, they seriously care.  Amelia and Cara had people praying for them, talking to them, Skyping with them, texting them, FBing them, whatevering them.  Their victims thought they were befriending sick young ladies.  Oh they were sick alright.

The most recent young lady exposed as a faker is Brett "Schmidty" Schmidt.  She was exposed because her story was inconsistent and the pictures didn't match up.  The blog shows all of Schmidty's lies in full details.  Schmidty infiltrated the pediatric community, which makes her even more despicable.  She claimed to have two different brain cancers, including the tumor that Wash is dying of.  

These sociopaths think that cancer is just being bald and brave and now and then, spouting off some wise buddha-zen bullshit phrase.  I hate to break it to you, bitches, but it's not.  Cancer is pain, death, depression, hurt, fatigue, memory loss, becoming disfigured, and losing that feeling of calm that everything will be okay.  These bitches just want the attention but man, they don't want to pay the price for that attention.  Guess what?  Cancer sooner or later comes calling.  Be careful what you wish for.

But eventually, as they eventually do, they will be exposed.  Because these fakers don't have what I and other cancer patients or caretakers have: real knowledge of this disease.  I have encountered a group of moms from the pediatric cancer community, and boy do they know their stuff, just like I or Nikki know about breast cancer.  When you are faced with cancer, you learn everything you have to about your disease or the disease trying to kill your child.  

For every faker exposed, it discredits the real stories out there.  Their lies divert attention away from real patients undergoing treatment.  Schmidty's lies took focus away from actual kids undergoing or who have passed way from cancer.  To me, it doesn't get lower than that.

I don't think it's a coincidence that the fakers are all young girls, ranging from 20 to 25 years old.  You know what I was doing when I was in my mid-20s, oh wait.  I WAS GOING TO SCHOOL, HAVING A JOB, AND PARTYING WITH MY FRIENDS.  My life, my choices, my friends: all real.  To the fakers exposed and the fakers who will eventually be found out: get help.  If you're so fucked in the head that you fake having a deadly disease just for some attention, then you need help.  Go volunteer at an actual chemo ward and then decide whether or not this is a ruse you want to do.

1 comment: