Sunday, May 15, 2011

Final Phase

From what I understand, tomorrow is my first day of radiation.  I went in on Thursday to get what they called a planning scan.  They positioned my arms, head and cancer boob to the spot they needed and afterwards, marked me in various locations on my torso with a black permanent marker.  The nurses told me that I had to make sure these marks stay on my body for the remainder of my treatment and if they start to fade, retrace them with a Sharpie.

My torso looks like Memento: the cancer edition.

I have two full weeks of medical leave before I have to go back to work.  The thyroidectomy has pretty much delayed everything and because of that, I have to go back to work before I'm done with my treatment.  The doctors thought it'd be best for me to recover from, I guess, major surgery without having to work prior to my radiation treatment.

I'm trying to wrap my brain around the fact that I'll be back to work in three weeks.  I am looking forward to it and dreading it at the same time.  I have to keep in mind that if I can work three or four months during chemotherapy, I can survive seven weeks of radiation.  I won't be sick or have brain fog or the joint pain from the Neulasta shot.  I'll be tired, worn down and probably super uncomfortable in the radiated area.  I won't be sick, though.  I have to keep that in mind and just make it through this last phase of treatment. 

This is the beginning of the end.  I couldn't be happier,  It's been a long eight months and I just have one or so more to go.  Heh.  I was diagnosed at the end of September and should be done with active treatment by the end of June.  NINE MONTHS.  ZOMG, I'M GIVING BIRTH TO A CANCER FREE VERSION OF MYSELF.

The imagery... I slay me sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment