Friday, November 19, 2010

Chemo

Yesterday, I had my first chemotherapy treatment.  My sweetie was there to see me get settled in and pre-medicated.  Luckily he was not there to see my allergic reaction to the taxotere.  It was a strange, scary 30 seconds or so.  The nurse was there and just watching me.  I asked her: "Are you here to make sure that I don't have an allergic reaction?"  She nodded and said yes.  "I'm going to hang out with you for a minute to make sure you're okay."

Cue the allergic reaction.  I felt a huge tightening in my chest and became very lightheaded.  I said to her, "I'm having chest pains."  She went running to get the other nurse and they came over and got it under control.  I thought for sure I was going to lose consciouness.  I guess the nurse was pumping me with benadryl to get the allergic reaction under control, and the other one was monitoring my vitals and stopping the Taxotere.  They said that since my reaction to the med was so quick and severe, they are NOT going to try that one again.  I did have the other chemo - cytoxin.  I had my day after shot today to help keep my white blood cell count up.
Today I feel tired and sore.  I won't be going anywhere or doing much this weekend.  If you want to see me, you have to come to my house.  NO SICKIES ALLOWED.

No comments:

Post a Comment