Monday, June 4, 2012

Thank You

I received a care package filled with unexpected and meaningful gifts from a friend today.  Each item I opened made me go "awww" and feel warm fuzzy goosebumps up and down my arm.  I can't begin to express how amazing it is to open a box full of gifts designed to make you smile and/or pass the time on your road to recovery.  I want to thank Stephanie for sending me such an amazing box of gifts, which I will treasure.  

Last week, my friend Tashi sent me a shirt that says Stupid (breast) Cancer.com and a handful of cancer cards.    Where were these cards when I was first diagnosed, haha?  "I'm sorry, so and so.  I cannot listen to your bullshit anymore," and then hand them my cancer card.  Tashi knows what it's like to walk in my shoes.

Stephanie's gift reminded me how much love and care I have received since September 2010, when I was initially diagnosed.  My friends have showered me with so much love and humor in their gifts since being diagnosed with breast cancer.  On top of the gifts of toys or magazines with healthy recipe ideas, I have received rides to the hospital or baked goods or just visits to hang out.  I have said this before but it definitely warrants repeating: I have amazing friends, and I will spend the rest of my life trying to repay the kindness I have been shown.

Cancer has the ability to invade every aspect of your life and make it seem like nothing good will ever happen again.  Friends who shower you with such love and affection, like I have been shown, make you realize that your body may fail you but your friends won't.

I'm not crying.  YOU are crying.

No comments:

Post a Comment