Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Recovery

Today I woke up and did something I haven't done in at least six months: I exercised.  Before I was diagnosed, I used to go to the gym on a regular basis.  I was able to run a couple of miles on the treadmill once or twice a week, and I did free weights when I could.  After a handful of months, I felt like I was getting in fairly decent shape.

Then I got the cancer.  


I won't make excuses for why I haven't worked out since getting the boob cancer.  ("It's okay, Lara.  You were going through chemo.")  That's not true.  I could have very well worked out during chemo, especially during my good weeks.  I just didn't because I felt like surgery and chemo were valid reasons to not exercise.  That was stupid of me because exercise could have significantly helped me recover from the effects of chemo and bounce back even quicker.  I haven't eaten as well as I could have, too.

I'm here to proclaim to the Interwebs that I, Lara (last name), am done making excuses for not taking good care of myself.  Now that I'm approaching the last phase of my treatment, I am going to prepare myself for Life After Cancer and (soon to be expelled) Thyroid.  I have to get physically stronger because I can't continue living with little energy and the inability to lift objects more than 10 or 15 pounds.  I hate being weak.  Hate it.  Every time I have said to my sweetie, "Could you carry this?" I hate what my body has turned into.

I also feel that exercise and diet is my absolute bet weapon against a reoccurence or a new type of cancer.  My body has been through a lot and still has a way to go before I'm done with my treatment.  If I never try to push myself, I'll never 

Today I accomplished:
1.5 miles on the exercise bike (only 10 minutes - BOO)
Five reps of lunges while throwing up a weight above my shoulders
Two reps of curls, rows and above my shoulders (don't know the name of that)

Anyone have a good video that they do cardio to?  

No comments:

Post a Comment