Monday, January 24, 2011

Post Chemo 3

Hello folks.  Lara here.  I'm finally getting my brain and senses back after this last chemo, and I can say definitively that each one definitely does get worse.  Luckily, I'm half-way through but that still means I have nine more weeks of this shit. 

Two days before each treatment, I have to get blood work done so trusty Unibrow can monitor all of my counts.  It's a quick visit to Quest that takes a half hour or so of my day.  After the phlebotomist took my blood last week, my arm freaking hurt.  It felt like someone with very giant hands decided to give my entire arm an Indian burn.  I never used to have a problem with having my blood work done, so I know the pain I felt meant by veins are getting torched by the chemo.  Fun....

My awesome friend Amber came and sat with me toward the end of my chemo.  For the life of me, I couldn't tell you what her and I talked about.  All I remember is my twin was constantly texting her.  I can't remember anything we said.  Knowing me, I probably talked about Boomer.  The fact that my memory is starting to take a beating makes me extremely worried.  I want to be able to continue to work through chemo but if my memory is starting to fail me, I don't know how that's going to be possible.  I'm probably going to have to go on some type of leave after chemo five or six.

I'm not so optimistic that I can get through the remaining half of my chemo without some major drama going on.  My boyfriend's job is being beyond unreasonable.  Even though they know what's going on with me, they wanted him to come in over the weekend to work.  Yes, they did know I had chemotherapy on Thursday but still asked him to come in over the weekend.  Seriously.  He was expected to work all yesterday but he did not.  He took care of me instead but still worried that he was going to come in and be fired.  I can't believe the nerve of his company.  They honestly gave him shit (his boss called him, texted him and emailed him over the weekend) for not going into work ON THE WEEKEND.  I want to go into his company, find his bosses and stare at them with my big cancery eyes and BIG BALD HEAD.  They should feel like absolute crap for giving him grief.  We arranged it so my friend helped me on Thursday and my stepmom helped me on Friday, so it's not like he took any time off.  Still, that's not enough for these jerky mcjerksons who want all of my caregiver's time and apparently expect me to fend for myself or find other arrangements.   

A caregiver plays a crucial role in the survival and quality of life for someone going through a devastasting disease.  The caregiver is just as important as the doctors and the nurses.  They are the sick person's lifelife to the rest of the world.  When I feel like my world is going to be nothing but hospital visits and feeling sick, he is my reminder that I have so much more waiting for me after my treatment.  A caregiver is extremely important, and a company that tries to diminish that role.... that's a very immoral company.

No comments:

Post a Comment